Saturday, July 26, 2014

MTech G22 for Rs. 847

Ashlesha colleague grabbed the white G22, and said, i want to throw this on the ground and stomp it.

Bharani colleague said, you should have asked me, we could have got a smart phone with another 500.

My poorvashada sis queried, why are you so like this. What will you gain with this miserliness?.

A Krittika remarked, this is like buying toys for my sons. You can surely spend 6k for a mobile. Next day, he remarked, though it serves your purpose, how many will have the courage to buy this unknown brand.

My swAti bro quipped, you have got the most expensive phone on this earth ka. Trust you have insured it.

Have my sister's digital camera, so don't need a camera on my phone. Don't want to browse net, check emails, spoiling my eyes with tiny screen. Nor do i want a big screen, making it inconvenient to hold it in hands or put it inside pockets.

Mom had gifted my previous basic samsung mobile in 2009 and it became a 3 piece mobile, constantly breaking into 3 pieces - the front part with keypad, battery, the back flap which was held together by a black nylon rubber band. In between 0 key didn't work for a while, which i got repaired for 70 bucks. But didn't want to carry my heavy latitude laptop every morning for just listening to my yoga teacher's mp3. So finally changed my mobile which could play mp3. After my first gifted android was stolen, put 5k to buy a phone with at least 5MP camera, big screen, google maps, but didn't like checking fb over smartphone when compared to laptop.

To be honest, just attend official calls, personally answering calls is anathema to me. Need silence, to study without interruption and the constant ringing of phones, is too much to bear. Even if it is my best friend who is calling, would take all the world's efforts to answer a phone, during my personal time.

Was without mobile till 2005. My Jan 28th US returned manager said, you are leading a team and without a phone, how can i reach you for anything. My manager, was the only reason, i bought my first phone, 1.5 years after joining Cognizant. Would go to a PCO and talk to dad or friend for hours in the absence of phone, never bought a mobile those first few years without mobile phones. If you don't attend calls for a while, the ire you have to face from your loved ones is unspeakable.

My guruji has the most latest apple iPhones and runs windows on it, extremely tech savvy with a program that would populate the current chart every 10 minutes for prashna. For me technology should assist, not consume my life. Would rather have the map of the place in my mind before venturing out, rather than googling it out.

If one reads vibhuti pAda of patanjali yoga sutras, to communicate in person (not just audio, video, actual teleporting), no matter where the other person is, is very much possible. Now mobile phones have become necessary evil to communicate.

Always remember my BGS (Business Govt and Society) professor's words. When it is your money and you spend it on yourself, you are responsible. When it is your money and you spend it on others you are miserly. When it is others money and you spend it on yourself, you are lavish. When it is others money you spend it for others, there is no accountability. Kind of Machiavelli.

As a child, i was a spendthrift, I, still am, when it comes to spending on others. 11L in 12H. Give me Bill Gates fortunes, i can reduce it to zero $ in no time. I have plans for the whole world. But after listening to  yoga sutras discourses, i would constantly recollect his words - can I not live without this, can i not live without that. Why accumulate ephemeral stuff? Minimalist way of live is the best in the long run.

No comments: